Bathing and cleaning your Chihuahua is one of the most important grooming tasks. It helps to remove dirt build-up, free your Chihuahua from any pests and detangling its fur. Many owners wash their Chihuahua multiple times in a week but it is not suggested as it dries out their skin. It is recommended to bathe your dog every 2 weeks. How often you should bathe your dog depends on following factors:
- Level of outdoor activity
- Type of shampoo/soap
- Type of coat
- The air inside your house
- How much they clean themselves with their tongue.
Things needed to Bathe a Chihuahua: Here are the stuff essential to bathe a Chihuahua:
- Premium dog-formulated shampoo (ordinary shampoo can be too harsh for their fragile skin).
- Clean cloth
- Dry Towel
- A large bowl
- Some fun treats
Steps To Bathing a Chihuahua:
- First of all, brush your Chihuahua to remove any excess fur.
- Use a large sink, bathtub or a tin bucket to bathe your Chihuahua. Set comfortable water temperature.
- Place your Chihuahua in the bath tub. It will become a bit anxious but try to calm it down and comfort him through patting.
- Pour water on their head gently
- Pour a small amount of shampoo and lather into its fur with cloth, avoiding contact with eyes, as it can cause irritation.
- Rinse all the shampoo until the water gets clear.
- Pat your Chihuahua dry in a towel and give him a treat for behaving nicely.
Other Helpful Chihuahua Bathing Tips: Maybe your Chihuahua does not like to be get dried out in a towel after the bath. Some of them become aggressive and make strange noises. Therefore, instead of using Towel, you can use your hair dryer on minimal heat for this purpose.